Saturday, December 21, 2013

Faces Off the Field: Will Swenson, senior guard, Lake Travis

By Rick Cantu - American-Statesman Staff

What do you remember most about your first organized basketball team?
It was a summer-league team in middle school coached by Mark Schultz. I was invited to play in a game by his son and my friend Clayton (Schultz). Afterward, they told me that I should try out for the team during the school year even though I didn’t think much of it, but it was obviously a pretty smart decision.        
What’s your favorite basketball memory at Lake Travis?
I made a shot at the halftime buzzer (against Marble Falls) while being pushed down but was called for traveling, even though the game film showed there was actually not a travel and the points should have counted. The thing that meant the most was that my coach (David Canfield) had my back and argued with the ref the entire halftime. No one on our team had ever seen his face so red.

Is there extra pressure to win at Lake Travis because other sports teams have done so well?
I would not say there is extra pressure, but there is always a high standard for excellence on and off the court at Lake Travis.

What are your college plans?
I plan to attend Texas A&M and major in business.

If you could have dinner with any four people in the history of the world, who would they be?
Tom Hanks, (musician) Marcus Mumford, Bill Gates and (basketball inventor) James Naismith.

Why would you want to invite Dr. Naismith?
Because I would want to ask him one question: Is this what you had envisioned?

If you had the choice of being valedictorian of your class or all-state in basketball, which would you choose?
I would choose to be valedictorian because I can have that on my resume the rest of my life.

Which of your high school classes will benefit you the most after you graduate?
Math. I use it every day and always will.

Tell me something about yourself that most people don’t know.
In a small fishing village in Belize, I’m known as “Two Cuda Will.”

What’s the story behind that?
After I caught my second barracuda, I learned that’s something pretty unusual for one trip. The guide then said, ‘From now on, you will now be known as Two Cuda Will in these waters.’

What do you consider to be the world’s greatest invention?
The wheel. If it was any other shape, it would be pretty bumpy.

If you bought a car that matched your personality, what would it be?
A Tesla. I appreciate the engineering, design and efficiency.

What’s the best advice anyone has ever given to you?
Our coach at Lake Travis, Clint Baty, has a phrase: big team, little me.